The Skills You Need to Be a Backend Developer
The backend is the part of a web application that is unrevealed to the user. Unlike front-end, back-end development operations are not very easy and usually turn out to be complicated and manifold; this part is in alignment with the server. Backend operations are a lot different that are controlled by different programming languages like C, C++, Perl, and Ruby. It is a broad field that's further subcategorized into several levels.
A backend developer usually doesn't work alone; backend developers usually work in teams of 2 or more people. A team of backend developers contains different specialists that are responsible for their specific discipline. Some are responsible for database management, some work with caching schemes and scripting while some focus on website architecture. Behind every successful website and application, the combined effort of the whole team plays its role. A backend developer's code bridges the communication between database and browser.
To describe the working of a backend developer in a nutshell, we can say that such a developer mainly focuses on the following:
- Web Development Languages
- Database and Cache
- API (REST & SOAP)
The essential requirement for becoming a backend developer is to have a keen knowledge of at least one server-side programming language.
What is the role of a backend developer?
To understand the skills required to become a backend developer, one needs to analyze what are their responsibilities. Only then we can relate their skills to their roles and responsibilities. The key responsibilities of backend developers are:
- They work with front-end developers and provide server-side algorithms of user-facing web application elements. Backend developers code in server-side language to create logic so that web applications function correctly.
- Other than coding and creating functional web applications, backend developers also optimize them for increasing response time and efficiency.
- They analyze the goals and requirements, handle bugs and errors, and come up with solutions.
- They also interact with the database for storing data and ensure that every user has access to what they search.
- They also manage APIs that are executed across the devices.
- They are also involved in building the architecture of the system.
Backend Developer Skills
To have efficient backend developer skills, one needs to have complete command on the subject. A good developer is aware of every new trend and invention in his domain. He urges to learn and align with all advancements coming his way.
Technology progresses every day. Many innovations are being made, and adapting to modern techniques is imperative to sustaining the game. Luckily in the development domain, a new trend might be complicated in learning, but it is focused on reducing the coding effort. Every new language aims to have minimal syntax, and it is suitable for a developer to invest some time to learn it.
The necessary technical skills required to become a backend developer are:
- In-depth knowledge of at least one backend programming language and framework.
- He should be capable of managing a hosting environment along with the database administration.
- He should be capable of scaling applications to handle the load changes.
- He should have enough knowledge of accessibility and security compliance.
- It's good for him to have an experience of version control, such as GIT.
- A backend developer is not expected to have command on every programming language. That is not possible for a human to have expertise in each of them. But they are expected to be experts in their opted language.
More Backend Developer Skills to add on the resume
Along with the above mentioned necessary technical skills, it is suitable for a backend developer to have these additional skills to make him stand out from other candidates. These skills cannot be ignored, and to become a proficient developer, one needs to have a basic knowledge of all of these.
- He should be a very well organized, detail-oriented multi-tasker, and should be capable of planning and prioritizing according to requirements.
- Having basic knowledge of mobile web development and cloud app development is an added advantage.
- He should have proficiency in the usage of version control or source code management tools.
- It is good to know CMS and CRM platforms, for example, Salesforce and Adobe AEM/CQ.
- Additionally, a backend developer should be adept in written and verbal communication skills.
- It's a plus point to have experience in writing reusable unit test documents.
- He should have skills of performance tuning, query plan / explain plan analysis, indexing, table partitioning.
- Exceptional knowledge of Database technologies is also necessary.
- He should be an excellent team player and have the necessary management skills to manage teamwork.
- Having a firm grip on data science, AI, and AR/VR is a significant plus for a backend developer.
Estimated income of a Backend Developer
According to research, and taking the previous year's figures into consideration, a backend developer tends to earn up to $120,798 per year. This figure could vary based on expertise, experience, skills, and is also dependent on the company, country, and other factors. Also, it is worthwhile to note that there's a vast difference between the pay-scales of backend developers and front-end developers. Front-end developers aren't paid as much as backend developers. The reason is that front-end work is mostly done with the help of automated tools, while backend development requires much technical expertise.
What is the future of Backend Development?
As of the current market trends, there are no worthy alternatives to backend developers and backend development. So naturally, the future is very bright for such developers. In this digital age, every business is required to have an online presence, and for that, they require high-quality backend development for their websites. Although many clients are not aware of the difference between backend and front-end still, the market cannot survive without backend developers. Despite technology replacing everything with automation, backend developers have a safe future as they are required for the process of developing automated tools.
The role of backend developers is critical to web development. They are responsible for all the key roles and ensure the deployment of quality products. That is why more and more aspiring web developers are today opting for this career. Such people should have a passion for coding and possess all the required knowledge and skills to become an efficient developer. It is also necessary to have other additional skills, mentioned above, to make your mark in the market.
People are also reading:
🗞 Squareboat weekly
Subscribe to our weekly posts and newsletters. No spam.
Thank you! We will get in touch soon.